A carbon dust render of a pig's heart from observation.
Dave Mazierski (BScAAM, MSc, CMI, FAMI)
Carbon dust on cold-pressed illustration board
Date of Completion
1. Sketching from Observation A sketch was created from observation of a real pig's heart. The sketch was reviewed by Dave Mazierski before moving forward.
2. Transferring the Sketch to a Cold-Pressed Board A mirrored version of the sketch was photocopied and then traced directly on top using a carbon pencil. The tracing was then transferred to the cold-pressed illustration board.
3. Rendering the Heart The heart was then rendered in carbon dust on the illustration board using the specimen for reference. Specular highlights were created using opaque white paint.
4. Making Minor Adjustments in Photoshop Based on feedback from the supervisor of the project and other students, edits to the shadows and highlights were made in Adobe Photoshop. The background and edges of the illustration were also cleaned up and made white.
5. Feedback and Revisions Feedback was solicited from Dave Mazierski, other biomedical communicators, and students, and revisions were made to achieve the final piece (above).